Asthma is a disease of lungs which affects breathing rate. The main cause of asthma is the chronic problems in breathing as these inflammations during breathing passage in the asthma patient’ airways become very sensitive to lots of triggers. Asthma in Hindi is called “Dama” in the rural areas.
However, it did not happen very often but a small carelessness will take you towards asthma as the symptoms of Asthma are common that is mostly mistaken with the flu and leaving it untreated for long can develop Asthma.
Causes of Asthma
It was found that the main causes of Asthma are the environmental factors and also a genetic condition. If someone from your family is affected with asthma then there is a possibility that you are more likely to develop asthma or can even get it from your birth. The exact causes of asthma are unknown but some of the causes are mentioned below:
- Excessive use of tobacco or smoke of wood.
- Inhaling polluted air.
- Inhaling the smells that cause irritation perfumes and cleaning products etc
- Exposure to the place where airway irritants are used.
- Inhaling substances that cause moulds, allergy-like dust, animal dander etc
- Types of respiratory infection like bronchitis, flu, cold or sinusitis
- Exposure to extreme cold or dry weather
- Emotional excitement or stress and depression
- Less physical exercises or activities
- Sulfites that are used in some foods or wine
The above-mentioned causes can lead to the risk of developing Asthma.
Signs of Asthma
- A frequent cough in the night time or at the time of waking up.
- While exercising when you feel very tired and weak.
- Change or decrease in the functioning of lungs that can be measured on the peak flow meter.
- Shortness of breath
- Losing breath easily at little work.
- After doing exercise you can feel the wheezing and coughing.
- Cold as a sign as of a cough, sneezing, sore throat, runny nose, headache, nasal congestion, allergies etc.
- Feeling tiredness all the time, feeling of upset, grouchy or moody.
- Uneasiness during sleeping.
Symptoms of Asthma Attack
One can lead a normal life while suffering from Asthma and can go for weeks or months without even taking medications. We will share some of the early signs and symptoms of an asthma attack :
- A lot of Coughing especially at night which does not go
- Cranky feeling
- shortness of breath
- Trouble in sleeping
- Low count PEF or pear flow meter numbers.
- Fast, Short, and swallowed breath.
Symptoms of Asthma in Babies
Types of Asthma
- Exercise-induced Asthma
- Cough – Variant Asthma
- Occupational Asthma
- Nighttime (Nocturnal Asthma)